Wednesday 19 September 2007

"You wouldn't say zotland would you?"

No, but I do pronounce it "coz-la". It's just the way of the accent. So there.

Kelly was in the house this past weekend. As always, it was great to see her and hang out with her for a couple of days. We met up on Friday after her conference and went for tea at the Mosque Kitchen. It had been a whole five days since I was at the Mosque, I had missed their veggies/rice/daal combination that much. If you're ever in Edinburgh, head for the Mosque and a cheap curry for your tea, you won't be disappointed.

John joined us and after a couple of drinks at Black Bo's we headed to the Bongo Club to see Rachel Unthank and the Winterset. I had caught them at Green Man, but as I was sitting at the back of the field, they didn't really register with me all that much so I thought it was only fair to see them from a better distance and without the threat of rain in the air. And I really enjoyed them, warm, homely, folk tunes, both Rachel and sister Becky are natural presences onstage and their cover of Robert Wyatt's Sea Song was quite, quite brilliant. We met up with my work pal Sean afterwards and after some good drink and good chat, got a cab back down the road.

Kelly, for some bizarre reason, foregoed (is that a word? Fuck it, it is now) a trip to the Fife Riviera to see the Rovers on Saturday ("that's just weird" opined FitbaJohn quite correctly), preferring to spend her time at Camera Obscura before putting in an afternoon of shopping. In hindsight, perhaps I should have joined her as the Rovers put up a listless performance against Ross County losing 2-0. I hotfooted it out the ground in order to get back to Waverley Station for 6pm and to meet up with K and the visiting Pamela from Glasgow. Pamela took one look at me and said I looked "scunnered". It's fair to say that the events of the afternoon left me in such a mood. However, that was soon put to one side as the three of us spent a delightful few hours in each other's company. It was particularly nice to see P once more, it's been a while what with one reason and another. There's nothing I like more than an evening like that, just hanging out with great folks and chatting away. P had to get back to Glasgow so K and me got back to the flat at a rock n roll hour of 10.30pm.

K's train on Sunday was just before midday so I got her up to the station and made sure she didn't get lost in Waverley. Having got to the right platform, we said goodbye and as is usually the case the time had gone by too quickly. Good friends are always something I want to be a big part of my life and it can be difficult when mine are spread around the country like they are. I think of them all a great deal and how I wish we could be a little closer geographically but I know it's not to be. However, it seems to work and I know I'll see folk at regular intervals during the year.

The rest of the week has been spent mostly at work and then on the couch catching up with TV after a long day. Lucky Luke are playing in Glasgow tomorrow night at Radar Mark's Drunk At The Pulpit club night. If it was tonight, I wouldn't have been there having put in nearly 8 and a half hours of solid achievement today and left in a bit of a daze after a busy afternoon. I'll see how I'm feeling tomorrow and whether I'll make it along the M8. I'd like to for Mark and to see the great Lucky Luke once more. We'll see though.

No comments: